Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Paris!

Above: At the inverted pyramid at the Louvre. Our faces look awesome!

Above: Me sitting at the inverted pyramid.

Above: I love how the tablet is focused but everything else is blurred.

Above: I don't know why, but i'm fascinated with Egyptians.

Above: Feet! Big feet at that.

Above: I wanted to be the 5th member of their family.

Above: Imagine if you were half person, half lion?

Above: Me with the giant kitty aka lion!

Above: At the Egyptian exhibit.

Above: This is tinier than it looks, it was so intricate and amazing.

Above: Aphrodite.

Above: The Mona Lisa.

Above: Alissa took a picture of me at the cafe, but it just looks like i'm sitting at a wall.

Above: The lovely glass pyramid at the Louvre that the French really don't like. It's not the pyramid they don't like, it's the fact that the old is mixed w/ modern and that's distasteful for them.

Above: Me at the Louvre!

Above: GORGEOUS DAY!

Above: I wanted to go swimming, but not.

Above: This however is a picture from a not so gorgeous day, but oh well.

Above: It was like Ani was with us there!!

Above: Nous Adorons Angele!

Above: Me at the Eiffel Tower =)

Above: Alissa and I at the Eiffel Tower =)

Above: The Eiffel Tower again.

Above: Alright, i'm a fool but I had to use the loo on the Eiffel Tower, 3rd tier and I felt it was picture worthy.

Above: Alissa and I on the 3rd tier. Although pretty much all our photo's look the same, i'm okay with it.

Above: View from the 3rd tier.

Above: View from the 2nd tier.
Above: Looking up at the tower from the second tier. Oh that's right, I went up the tower!!

Above: Me on the second tier.

Above: The leg we went up.


Above: The Eiffel Tower!!

Above: Alissa and I at Arc de Triomphe.

Above: Me with my favourite sculpture at the Arc de Triomphe. I don't know why but everytime we passed it, I just was drawn to this one, it was absolutely amazing.

Above: Where's Waldo? Aka me. It looks like a normal picture at first but there I am awkwardly standing under the arch =)

Above: Eternal flame.

Above: The Arc de Triomphe.
Above: Bikes everywhere, you really do have to be at attention if you're walking!


Above: Our tour bus.

Above: Cute garden type thing.

Above: Someone left their baguette... haha.

Above: After walking around for the day, my shoes became covered w/ severe amounts of dust, haha.

Above: Gare du Nord =)

Above: Yummy grapefruit drink.

Above: Alissa and I again.

Above: The Orange Family! They were German and we saw them everywhere that day.

Above: This was certainly unexpected!!

Above: Even more.. but this is amusing cause it's like sex shop after sex shop and then Supermarket, haha.

Above: Ridiculous.

Above: I didn't get any pictures but you'd be surprised by how many children where with their parents walking about, it was strange.

Above: The Moulin Rouge!!!!

Above: Snazzy headphone plugs on the tour bus.

Above: Canal filling up.

Above: Our tour guide said and I quote "My heart is French but my ass is international". He was quoting a movie but I cannot remember which and I didn't know the movie anyway.. it was hysterical.

Above: On our tour we were in a tunnel for a while.. it was cold, and this man was playing recorder or something for the mood.

Above: Really cute boat.

Above: While on our tour cruise, I saw this and didn't realize it was a homeless person's house until after I took the picture, what I want to know is how they get there because it's on an island.. unless they walk the train track. Who knows.

Above: On the cruise.

Above: The canal.

Above: I believe that was the back of the Notre Dame?

Above: It was a gorgeous day out.


Above: Ponyo Under the Cliff!! I don't know what this is but every time I saw the ad I thought it was The Little Mermaid but not, and I was like "What happened to Ariel??"

Above: Louis Vuitton =)

Above: Hangin out my window.

Above: Hangin out my window again.

Above: Me w/ the giant elephant outside of Musee D'Orsay.

Above: French Po' (lice) vans.

Above: The French gas stations are just little islands in the road.

Above: Really interesting Metro sign.

Above: I can't remember what it's called but I call it Cleopatra's needle because that's what it looks like (Cleopatra's Needle is in England by the by). But I do remember that whatever it is it's actually the oldest monument in Paris.

Above: National Assembly. Liberty, Equality and Fraternity.

Above: Beautiful flowers by the Notre Dame.

Above: Notre Dame on Palm Sunday = CROWDED!!

Above: Notre Dame.



Above: Strange cut off trees. A lot of trees at different monuments and places were cut off, I wonder why... hmm.

Above: Musee Grevin.

Above: Alissa and I on our bus tour! We had fun green headphones and plugged them into the bus for a guided tour.

Above: These are like rent a bike's and they are EVERYWHERE!

Above: First place we ate.

Above: We were in the marriage section of Paris, haha.


Above: More marriage business.




Above: Our Hotel =)

Above: Room 31.

Above: Creepy/tiny elevator.

Above: Bathroom.

Above: Room.

Above: Bed area.

Alissa and I took the Eurostar train through the chunnel on Thursday morning and arrived in Paris that afternoon! The ride was only 2 and 1/2 hours and we arrived at the Gard du Nord and it was then that it really hit us we were in a country that spoke a language other than English, haha. We found our way to the hotel successfully and signed in, thank goodness the man at the counter spoke English because I would've spent a fair amount of time looking in my English-French dictionary. I don't remember what exactly happened when but i'll share what happened during our vaca =)

We took a hop on hop off bus service that toured around the major tourist locations, and we rode the circuit once completely before deciding where it was we wanted to go. We ended up going to the Arc de Triomph, to the top of the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Louvre. We also spent a fair amount of time exploring the area of Paris that we were in. OH! And we also took a river/canal tour cruise.

So when we went to the Arc de Triomph, I wasn't really sure how to get there cause it's on an island by itself surrounded by a constant flow of traffic and at first I was wondering if you just hope for the best and try to frogger your way through traffic, but really there are underground tunnels to take you there which makes a LOT more sense, haha. So we stopped and took some pictures especially of the eternal flame.

We also went to the top of the Eiffel Tower!! It was only I think 4 more Euros to get to the 3rd tier rather than the second, so we thought why not and took the elevator to the top. We ended up getting some great pictures and it was BEAUTIFUL OUT! The clearest the skies had been since we had been there. We also ended up making friends with the people in front of us, so we were amused while waiting in line. Being at the top of the Tower I wasn't really thinking "Oh i'm at the top of the Eiffel Tower", I just felt that we were on top of a tall building. It wasn't until we went back down and looked up it really hit, it was REALLY amazing.

We went to the Louvre on Sunday and we were super excited because the line wasn't that long, and we went in and I didn't know that the glass pyramid was just the entrance and the building around it was the actual Louvre, so bully for me, haha. We decided first and foremost to see the Mona Lisa before it got anymore crowded, and we finally saw it and I took a picture, and then we went to see Aphrodite, and then I really wanted to see the Egyptian exhibit so that's what we did there. Even though those are only 3 things, it took quite a while because the Louvre is HUGE!

We also went back to the Eiffel Tower to take some more pictures at a later date. We went to the Notre Dame but it was on Palm Sunday and was super crowded and we went souvenir shopping (good times). We also found some great cafe's and restaurants and I was very proud of myself because I could understand quite a lot of French and was able to order food successfully and talk to the waiters. The whole experience makes me maybe want to continue to learn French and learn conversational French but we'll see about that... haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment