Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I'm wayyy overdue: Pitmen Painters, Oxford & everything in between!


Above: Christ's Church Cathedral.


Above: The top left candle is my prayer candle =)

Above: Staircase from the 2nd Harry Potter Movie when Harry gets sucked into the diary of Tom Riddle and Harry sees Tom Riddle asking Dumbledore about the dead body they are carrying out.

Above: Me on said staircase (In the Christ Church campus)


Above: My friend Elle said her hands were cold like vampires. But she meant to say "My hands are as cold as a vampires" so I made fun of her and named my right hand Jean-Claude and my left Sophie.


Above: The Great HALL!


Above: Alice from Alice in Wonderland .This stained glass can be found in the Dining Hall aka The Great Hall for you Harry Potter enthusiasts.

Above: The White Rabbit and The Mad Hatter.

Above: Ridiculous staircase in the St. Mary Cathedral.


Above: Same.. and you can see that the only hand-rail is an awkward rope attached the wall! Scary!


Above: Great Hall aka Dining Hall again (my pictures are clearly out of order a bit, sorry!)


Above: View from the top of St. Mary's Tower.



Above: Standing in front of the vistor's entrance to Christ's Church!

Above: Christ's Church field.


Above: My professor Philip telling us something interesting i'm sure.


Above: Archway.

Above: I do not know.. but it's pretty to look at!


Above: St. Mary's Tower.


Above: Radcliffe Camera

So, above are pictures from our trip to Oxford. It was an awesome trip from the beginning because we had a double decker COACH bus so it was all decked out and fabulous. My friends and I sat in the first row on the top so basically we saw EVERYTHING which was fun. It took almost an hour and 1/2 to get there from Kingston and the first thing we did was divide into groups for the two different tours. So my tour set off right away, our professor for British Life and Culture Philip was the one who lead the tour, and he showed us all the different colleges and their buildings. I believe Oxford has about 30 something different colleges that make the university because they are very specific. There is a whole college dedicated to medival studies. We walked for a while and ended up at Christ's Church where we later went to get a tour of inside.

After our tour my friend Alissa and I went off in search of lunch. We decided to go to a pub that our professor pointed out to us. It is actually hidden behind an alleyway and very narrow winding passage. There are no tourists there because it's a hidden gem so to speak and not visible from any streets as it is hidden away. This place was tops in my book because first of all, I despise fish but I got the fish and chips and actually liked it! So that's saying something. I also decided to try their house cider but I must say.. it tasted like fermented apples and yes yes, I know that's basically what it is, but it's the strongest I have ever tasted. It tasted like the smell of the apples that fell from the old apple trees in my Oma and Opa's backyard, haha. (HI OMA AND OPA!! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!)). So then we decided to visit St. Mary's Cathedral specifically the tower because you can see over all of Oxford from the top of the tower. So we finally get to the tower and the actual tower staircase.. 1- there is only one way up and down, so we started up the tiniest staircase I have ever seen and were 1/2 way up when another group started to come down and we had to climb all the way back down to let them down. So we start up again and get up successfully (after I nearly have a panic attack because I didn't think we were ever going to see daylight again) to find that there is only a foot and 1/2 walking area around the tower, so anyone who wanted to pass ended up touching you inappropriately but not on purpose. After snapping some pictures we made our way down (even scarier) and finally headed over to Christ's Church for our tour.

Our tour basically was we just roamed around ourselves. We made our way to the Dining Hall which is used in Harry Potter as The Great Hall. We then went to the actual church and walked around.. it was really beautiful and breath-taking. After that we attempted to find our way out because it was just so confusing and met up with another person from study abroad. Someone I had actually talked to on Facebook but until that time hadn't talked to him face to face. Only took us a month and 1/2! Haha, anyway, we walked around Oxford and went to a souvenir shop to get some postcards and things, it was good times. I want to go back to Oxford sometime to check out some other places, so.. hopefully that happens!

Now.. let's go back a few days.. A week ago from tomorrow my class and I took another field trip to the National Theatre to see "Pitmen Painters" which was a play about a few coal miners who were taking classes amongst themselves and specifically became interested in art and became artists. It's based upon a real story and was actually a heart-felt and funny play. I will admit that I, along with the rest of the study abroad students had a hard time at some parts to understand because two of the characters had a cockey accent which means.. you catch about maybe 10% of what they're saying =P But they showed paintings actually painted by the real Pitmen Painters and I was shocked by the quality of the work.

Yesterday I went back on "Richard and Judy's Star Bar" with my friend Elle and Paddy Considine was one of the guests (he's been in The Bourne Supremecy, Hot Fuzz, and some other well known films). It was fun. Also, on the way back we stopped for dinner in Leicester Square and stumbled upon the world premiere of the movie "Duplicity" with Julia Roberts and Clive Owen and I saw Julia Roberts!! It was amazing, she's beautiful. And it made me want to watch Pretty Woman for some reason.

Sorry it took so long for an update, i've been busy busy busy! And as an ending to this REALLY long blog.. today in class my professor wasn't here so his friend, another professor of drama came in to teach us about British Theatre and at the end a few of my classmates volunteered and did a skit from a play and they had to try and do a cockney accent and well.. it was a lot of laughing and good times.

I hope all is well with everyone back home. LOVE YOU =)

No comments:

Post a Comment