So today I had my first class which was my British Life and Culture class. That was at 3pm or should I say 15:00. Since no one in the greater London area has a plow let alone a shovel (I heard it was also on American news but really.. everything shuts down for 4 inches of snow because they haven't had that much snow in about 18 years and they run on public transportation so you can see the problem..) all the backroads and sidewalks are completely still covered in snow and ice. It's horrible. Since the sun doens't shine that much the snow melts, not a lot, but a bit and then it freezes overnight turning into ice. For the next week it's supposed to rain/snow so YAY ENGLAND! The point of sharing was to mention how I almost fall and break something everytime I try to walk to the bus station for school.
So class was good. All like 60 of us were put into this tiny little room. Our professor Philip is wonderful, he's also a huge member of the study abroad team. Most teachers here prefer to be called by their first names, there are exceptions but many of them like to use their first name and it's certainly different for me. Today we talked about sterotypes we had, the British Identity, different things about flags and the Union Jack, PROPER FLAG ETIQUETTE, and other things. This is only a two hour class which isn't that bad. My Thursday class doesn't start till next week so tomorrow I do not have class but I need to go into town to stop at the post office and the school supply store.
Some things that I miss from home (a revised list):
- Eggs (I really am afraid to eat the eggs since they are just on a shelf and not refrigerated even though I am told they are completely safe).
- My "luxurious" shower/bath.
- Driving (but only for the reason of grocery shopping!! It's so much easier to carry food home in a car than via bus).
- My blankets. For some reason here, the blankets are long enough to just cover the bed. They don't have excess so my toesies hang out unless I curl up.
- A sink with one faucet that shares hot and cold water.
- Family and friends =)
- A dryer. Below, I have included a picture of my dryer:

No comments:
Post a Comment